Having a double chin, also known as submental fat, can make you feel self-conscious and unhappy with your appearance. The presence of a double chin can often make you look heavier than you actually are, and trying to get rid of it can be frustrating. Even if you live a healthy lifestyle and exercise regularly, getting rid of that pesky double chin can be a challenge.
The good news is that using cosmetic procedures such as injections of Kybella or liposuction for double chin removal is safe and effective. Today we are going to look at ways to effectively reduce excess fat that has accumulated below the jaw and resulted in a double chin.
What Is Chin Liposuction And How Is It Done?
Liposuction is a surgical technique that is used to remove excess fat from targeted areas of the body, such as the submental fat that forms under the jaw, creating a double chin. Liposuction can be performed using one of various techniques, one of which is ultrasound-assisted liposuction (VASER), which is less invasive than traditional lipo and is an effective solution for eliminating unwanted fat deposits in smaller areas. The general steps during VASER liposuction include:
- The procedure begins with the cosmetic surgeon numbing the treatment area so the patient remains comfortable throughout the process. This is done through the use of a special solution that is injected under the skin.
- The surgeon will then make a tiny incision beneath the chin or behind the ears to allow the insertion of the long, slender tube-like instrument called a cannula that is used to essentially vacuum out the unwanted fat cells.
- During VASER liposuction, ultrasound waves are used to break up and loosen the targeted fat cells without disturbing or damaging other nearby tissues or blood vessels.
- The cannula is held steady while the ultrasound waves work to dislodge the excess fat, which is then sucked up through the cannula and permanently removed.
- Cosmetic surgeon uses their skill and artistry to sculpt the area, forming natural-looking contours and providing a more defined jawline and profile appearance.
What Is The Recovery Time For Double Chin Liposuction?
After undergoing liposuction to remove a double chin, it may take a few weeks to a few months before you will be able to see the final results of your procedure.
Some swelling, bruising, and discomfort are common liposuction side effects. Your surgeon will recommend a compression garment, which must be worn for about four to six weeks. It is important to follow the directions that will be provided to you by your surgeon, as this garment is designed to help mitigate swelling and promote faster healing. Depending on the extent of the liposuction procedure, the surgeon may also provide prescriptions for antibiotics or pain relievers.
Usually, by the end of the first month, most of the visible swelling will have receded, and you can see the results of your double chin liposuction procedure. Individuals recover at different rates, so recovery may take a little longer than you think or may not take as long as anticipated. The most important thing you can do is stay in close communication with your surgeon so they can ensure your recovery is progressing as it should. They will let you know when it is safe for you to resume all your normal activities, including exercise, and will provide you with specific directions based on your circumstances.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Liposuction For Double Chin Removal?
Liposuction can offer a viable option as a treatment plan and solution for individuals struggling with a double chin, offering several benefits, including:
- Enhanced Facial Contour: Liposuction can dramatically improve the appearance of a double chin, providing a more contoured and sculpted facial profile and removing the appearance that you are carrying excess weight.
- Boost in Confidence: Eliminating a double chin can significantly enhance self-esteem and boost confidence, allowing individuals to feel more comfortable and satisfied with their appearance and how they appear in pictures.
- Produces Quick and Effective Results: Liposuction for a double chin typically provides noticeable results in a relatively short period. Most patients can notice a substantial improvement in their profile and the appearance of their double chin within a few weeks.
- Minimally Invasive Procedure: Compared to more invasive surgical options, VASER liposuction is a minimally invasive alternative that effectively removes a double chin, requiring only tiny incisions and the added benefit of a much shorter recovery time.
How Does Kybella Work For Eliminating A Double Chin?
Kybella is a medication containing deoxycholic acid injected into problem areas subcutaneously to dissolve unwanted fat. It is naturally metabolized by the body, similar to the deoxycholic acid manufactured and used by the gallbladder to process dietary fat. It is the first injectable, non-surgical therapy that works to eliminate or reduce localized fat deposits.
Kybella is effective in eliminating a double chin, and The ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) reported that in 2020 alone, more than 135,000 patients were treated with Kybella injections. Depending on the severity of the double chin and other patient-specific factors, more than one Kybella treatment may be necessary to achieve the desired results.
Other Double Chin Treatments
In addition to Kybella or liposuction for treating a double chin, other cosmetic treatments may be effective in reducing the appearance of a double chin.
- FaceTite is a non-surgical method of tightening the skin from the inside out that uses radiofrequency technology. The procedure tightens, tones, and rejuvenates the skin from the inside out by using radiofrequency to selectively heat the lower layers of the skin, which are predominantly made of collagen. FaceTite does more than just reinforce the preexisting collagen fibers; it also encourages the body to increase its collagen production.
When used on submental fat, FaceTite can drastically reduce or eliminate the appearance of a double chin.
- Evoke is a non-surgical procedure that uses radiofrequency (RF) heat that can travel deep into the skin and effectively rearrange the tissue in the treatment area. It is an effective anti-aging treatment because it can help to redistribute fat and tighten the surrounding skin, resulting in a more youthful appearance.
The radiofrequency energy is transmitted to the treatment region via soft contact pads, and the RF energy is transferred from pad to pad in a controlled and methodical manner to ensure all areas are treated with precision and accuracy. Evoke is an efficient, painless method of eliminating a double chin.
Who Can I Contact To Talk About Non-Surgical Methods Or Liposuction To Treat A Double Chin?
If you are unhappy with your appearance because of a double chin, there are many options available to you for treatment. Contact SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics today, and one of our trained medical professionals will be happy to answer any questions you may have about using liposuction to remove a double chin. During a consultation, we can provide an overview of the different procedures and techniques that can be used to address your cosmetic concerns.
Dr. Angelina Postoev, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon, can discuss your medical history and your desired results to create a customized plan that can help you reach your aesthetic goals. With the advancements in cosmetic procedures, having a more refined profile and eliminating a double chin are easier today than ever. Contact us today to set up your appointment!