Vitamin B12 Injections in Atlanta, GA
Varies TYPE OF PROCEDURE
If you are not aware of all the amazing benefits of vitamin B12 shots, this article should provide you with a good overview. With our hectic lifestyles, many of us do not eat as healthy as we should or get an adequate amount of the vitamins and minerals needed to keep our bodies functioning properly.
The average American’s diet (what is often referred to as the western diet) is lacking in fruits and vegetables and coupled with pollutants, pesticides, and genetic modifications can make it difficult for even the most health-conscience individuals to get the vitamins they need. Vitamin B12 is one of those vitamins.
What Is Vitamin B12?
Cobalamin or commonly called vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that our body needs but can not produce. It is important for the formation of red blood cells, the production of DNA, nerve function, and cell metabolism.
Vitamin B12 is found in poultry, fish, meat, and dairy products and is also added to some foods like breakfast cereals. Vegetarians, vegans, and older adults may be more prone to its deficiency.
An untreated cobalamin deficiency can cause anemia, muscle weakness, fatigue, memory loss, nerve damage, intestinal issues, confusion, depression & mood swings, heart palpitations, pale skin, constipation, diarrhea, vision loss, numbness in hands or feet, dizziness, problems with balance, dementia, etc
2.4 micrograms is the recommended dose of vitamin B12 an adult should get every day.
Common Causes Of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Some people have a difficult time getting sufficient amounts of cobalamin through their diet and others may have an issue absorbing it as they are ingesting it. The B12 is absorbed by the body in a 2-step process. An acid in the stomach separates the vitamin from the protein that it is connected with and then it must attach to a different protein that is created in the stomach called intrinsic factor before the body can absorb it.
- As we age, our bodies produce less of the stomach acid that is needed to separate the B12 so it can be attached to the intrinsic factor so the body has a more difficult time getting an adequate amount of vitamin B12;
- Individuals who suffer from pernicious anemia do not produce the necessary intrinsic factor for B12 absorption;
- Patients who have undergone certain bariatric surgeries where portions of their digestive systems have been altered are often unable to absorb enough vitamins;
- Individuals who suffer from digestive disorders like Crohn’s disease or celiac disease usually experience a decrease in cobalamin absorption;
- Individuals who do not eat any meat or dairy products are prone to insufficiencies of vitamin B12;
- Individuals who consume an excess of alcoholic beverages often suffer from deficiencies of the B12 and other critical nutrients because alcohol inhibits their absorption.
What Is A Fast And Effective Way To Get The B12?
Getting enough cobalamin can be a challenge for some individuals and that is where vitamin B12 injections come in. There are two advantages to B12 injections:
- Injections bypass any barriers that may be interfering with absorption;
- The vitamin gets into the patient’s system much faster and begins working.
The vitamin B12 injection dosage and frequency will be determined by your doctor based on your individual circumstances.
What Is The Typical Vitamin B12 Injection Dosage For Adults?
The doctor will prescribe vitamin B12 injections dosage and frequency depending upon your circumstances. For individuals taking the injections to supplement their wellness, once every three months is normally sufficient.
For patients suffering from a condition or disorder that inhibits absorption their vitamin B12 injections dosage and frequency may be as often as once every few days or once weekly.
For someone who has had bariatric surgery, the usual adult B12 injection dosage is approximately 1,000 micrograms per month.
How Long Does a B12 Shot Remain In Your System?
The benefits of vitamin B12 injections begin immediately after being introduced into the body. Their longevity in the body will be different for each patient but normally they last between 48 hours and a week. Cobalamin is water soluble which means whatever is not absorbed by the body will be eliminated in the urine.
What Are Some Of The Health Benefits Of B12 Injections
Individuals who suffer from B12 deficiency will see the most benefits from routine supplemental injections. Some of these benefits may include:
- Energy Boost
- Vitamin B12 helps the body convert food to glucose which turns into energy. When deficient, individuals experience a lack of energy and tire very easily. The proper B12 shot dosage can significantly increase your energy levels and give you the spark you need to function at your best.
- Helps Promote A Positive Mood and Fight Depression
- cobalamin has a hand in producing chemicals in the brain that affects our mood and depression has been linked to its low levels and also folate. Supplementing with a proper dose of cobalamin can help lift your mood and combat feelings of depression.
- Enhances Sleep
- The B12 plays a role in melatonin production which helps regulate our sleep cycles. It also helps produce serotonin which is what helps us fall into the deep sleep that is most beneficial to our health.
- Promotes Healthy Skin, Nails, and Hair
- The B12 vitamin helps in the reduction of acne and dry skin. It also contributes to the production of collagen so it helps promote healthier skin and the growth of shiny hair and strong nails.
- Promotes Healthy Weight
Vitamin B12 can enhance the metabolism and help to break down and eliminate fat and aid in weight loss.
Since it also helps provide an energy boost, if you are trying to lose weight, it can provide extra energy for your workouts.
Individuals suffering from deficiencies may notice significant changes in their weight after starting B12 injections.
- Prevents Disease
This vitamin can help reduce the risk of a wide range of diseases and coupled with folate and B6 it reduces the risk of breast and lung cancers.
If you are feeling run down, fatigued, and have no energy, vitamin B12 injection therapy may be an excellent treatment for you.
Oral supplements can be very effective however they can take a while before they are effective. Their effectiveness can also be inhibited by a lack of absorption during the digestive process for various reasons. B12 injections begin working the right way because they go straight into the bloodstream.
At Surgicare Arts & Aesthetics Dr. Angelina Postoev can assess your needs and recommend a vitamin B12 injection dosage and frequency plan to get you feeling your best.
Set up a consultation today to learn more about the benefits of vitamin B12 injections. The professional experts at Surgicare Arts & Aesthetics can answer any questions you may have regarding vitamin dosage for weight loss and other health benefits. Contact us today to learn more!