Breast reduction surgery, also known as reduction mammoplasty, is a cosmetic procedure that is completed to reduce the size and weight of excessively large breasts.
The surgery is performed to lessen physical discomfort, improve posture, and enhance the overall quality of life for individuals whose breasts are overly large for their frame. Many women experience back, neck, and shoulder pain, as well as low self-esteem and negative body issues that can be alleviated through breast reduction.
While the decision to undergo breast reduction surgery is a personal one, it should be made with as much information as possible. Understanding what to expect before, during, and after the procedure, as well as the cost of breast reduction surgery, will help you make the best decision for your health, circumstances, and financial situation.
Today we are going to provide an overview of breast reduction surgery so you will have a basic understanding of the reasons why a woman would undergo a reduction, what to expect during and after the procedure, and how much a breast reduction costs.
What Factors Play Into Breast Reduction Surgery Costs?
There are several elements that can affect how much you can expect to pay for a breast reduction. Some of these elements include:
- The Experience and Expertise Of The Surgeon
- The cost of breast reduction surgery is influenced by the skill and experience of the cosmetic surgeon. Surgeons who are highly qualified and renowned in their field often have higher fees due to their reputation and success rate.
- The Geographical Location Where The Surgery Is Taking Place
- The cost of living and market demand for cosmetic procedures in a specific region or country can affect the overall cost of breast reduction surgery. Cosmetic surgery prices tend to be higher in urban areas or regions with high demand, as opposed to more rural or less-populated locations.
- Type Of Facility Where Surgery Is Taking Place
- The surgical facility or hospital where the procedure takes place can influence the overall cost. Hospitals and state-of-the-art facilities with advanced equipment and amenities may come with higher fees.
- Fees For Anesthesia
- Anesthesia is required during breast reduction surgery, and the type used and the qualifications of the anesthesiologist administering it will contribute to the total cost.
- The Extent Of The Surgical Procedure
- The complexity of each individual’s case can vary significantly, and factors like breast size, shape, and desired results may affect the surgical approach and the cost. Complicated cases may require more time and effort, resulting in higher fees.
- Preoperative Tests and Consultations
- Before undergoing breast reduction surgery, a patient may need to undergo various medical tests and consultations to ensure they are suitable candidates for the surgery. These tests and consultations may add to the overall cost.
- Aftercare Or Medication Expenses
- The cost of postoperative care, medications, special compression garments, and follow-up visits should be factored into the total cost of a breast reduction procedure.
- Combining Surgical Procedures
- Many times, patients combine breast augmentation surgeries to obtain optimal results. This can help to reduce some of the overall financial impact, as usually combining procedures such as a breast reduction and a breast lift costs less than performing the two separately. The costs associated with elements such as the anesthesia and its administration, the surgical facility, the surgeon’s time, etc. would be higher if a second surgery were performed.
- Coverage By Medical Insurance
- In some cases, breast reduction surgery may be deemed medically necessary, particularly when breast size causes significant health issues. If this is the case, some insurance plans may cover all or a portion of the costs. It is important to check with the insurance provider to determine specific eligibility, as insurance coverage can widely vary.
Why Would A Breast Reduction Be Important To A Woman?
Having large breasts can present several physical and emotional challenges. These challenges may include experiencing chronic pain, dealing with skin irritation, and facing difficulties finding clothing that fits well. Also, a significant number of women may experience feelings of self-consciousness regarding their physical appearance, which can have a negative impact on their self-esteem and overall confidence levels.
According to cosmetic surgeons, many adolescent girls in school experience feelings of embarrassment or humiliation because they are often teased or receive unwarranted attention from both their male peers and older men. Additionally, they are teased or ostracized by their female peers because they are different or because they are jealous of the attention they are receiving. Teenage girls as young as 15 have had breast reduction surgery, and when women were asked how they felt after their surgery, here were some of their thoughts:
- “I was so happy to see my flatter chest when I looked under my blanket after the surgery! Unless you have lived with this issue, you have no idea how it affects you emotionally and psychologically.”
- “It is like having bricks taken off your chest.”
- “It is the best decision I have ever made; I will never regret it!”
- “Having a breast reduction was the biggest relief I have ever felt.”
- “I hated looking at myself in the mirror. I was only 17 and looked like I was twice that age and like I had breastfed a few babies! I am so happy with my breast reduction and lift!”
Breast reduction surgery can help patients achieve a more proportionate and well-balanced figure, leading to a better state of mind and quality of life.
An Overview Of A Breast Reduction Procedure
- The breast reduction process begins with a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who assesses the patient’s medical history, goals, and expectations;
- On the day of surgery, the patient receives general anesthesia to ensure their comfort;
- The surgeon makes incisions using the pattern that best fits the patient’s breast size and shape, such as anchor-shaped, vertical, or keyhole incisions, to remove excess breast tissue, fat, and skin;
- They carefully sculpt the breasts to achieve a balanced, proportionate size and shape. If necessary, the nipple and areola are repositioned to a higher location;
- The incisions are closed with sutures, skin adhesives, or surgical tape;
- Breast reduction surgeries are typically outpatient, allowing patients to return home the same day, with some cases requiring overnight hospital stays;
- The surgeon provides detailed aftercare instructions, and patients will generally have a follow-up appointment within a week.
What Should I Do If I Am Interested In A Breast Reduction?
Once you decide that you want relief from your overly large breasts, the most important decision you will make is who you will choose to perform your breast reduction surgery. Set up a consultation with a qualified board-certified cosmetic surgeon to discuss the details of your surgery and get a feel for how comfortable you feel with that doctor. Remember, the results of your surgery are in the hands of the surgeon you choose.
In addition, it is also important that you understand the specific factors influencing the cost of breast reduction surgery so you can make an informed decision based on your individual needs and financial circumstances. While the breast reduction surgery cost must be considered, it is crucial to prioritize safety, the surgeon’s expertise, and the quality of care. The long-term benefits of the procedure can greatly outweigh the initial investment, leading to improved physical comfort, enhanced self-confidence, and a better quality of life.
Breast Reduction Surgery Can Bring Much-Needed Relief
Breast reduction surgery can be life-changing for women experiencing physical discomfort and emotional distress due to excessively large breasts. If you are experiencing pain or anxiety due to breasts that are disproportionately large for your frame, Dr. Angelina Posteov, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon with SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics, can help! An expert in breast augmentation, she and her team offer the highest level of patient care while delivering amazing results.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Angelina will discuss the particulars of the procedure and answer any questions you might have. You will also be given all the details regarding your breast reduction surgery costs, so you will know exactly what to expect. Contact SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics today to set up your one-on-one breast reduction consultation and start enjoying the long-term benefits of smaller, more proportionate breasts.