The majority of people who lose 50 or more pounds will experience loose skin somewhere on their body. How much loose skin they will end up with and the location of the loose skin will be influenced by several factors beyond their control.
Today we are going to talk about what happens to your body when you lose 50 pounds and what can be done to address any loose skin that is left behind as a result of a significant weight loss.
What Causes Loose Skin After Losing 50 Pounds?
Weight gain is normally a gradual process, and as an individual gains weight, their skin stretches out to adapt to the extra layer(s) of fat. Stretch marks may form as a result of the skin being stretched beyond its limits of elasticity. When an individual loses weight rapidly, the fat that is typically lost is the layer right below the surface of the skin. When the skin can no longer snap back into place due to being overstretched or age-related elasticity loss, it can become saggy and loose.
How Much Loose Skin Will Be Left After Losing 50 Pounds And Where Will It Be?
Losing 50 pounds may not seem like a massive enough weight loss to create a great deal of loose skin, but it can occur in the areas where the highest concentration of fat was eliminated.
Where an individual stores fat is often determined by genetics and is not within their control. Also, the amount of elasticity our skin possesses is also partially determined by our DNA and other outside factors such as our age, how tall we are, how much we weighed before our weight loss, exposure to the elements, our lifestyle habits, our diet, etc.
Individuals who lose a massive amount of weight can often be left with loose skin that creates physical limitations and health issues, including:
Understanding that this is a natural byproduct of weight loss helps patients be better prepared with a plan to address this situation.
The amount of loose skin experienced after undergoing a substantial loss of weight and where that loose skin will be located will vary by individual as no two individuals have the exact same DNA (except in rare cases of identical twins). Some individuals who lose weight may not experience any loose skin at all. In general, the greater the weight loss, the more likely it is to end up with loose skin.
Many women tend to store fat in their breasts and their stomachs and, after losing a substantial amount of weight, end up with deflated breasts and loose, saggy skin on their tummies.
What Can Correct The Appearance Of Loose Skin After A 50 Pound Weight Loss?
Depending on the severity of the loose skin, there are surgical and non-surgical solutions available, thanks to advancements in cosmetic surgery.
If the loose skin has created a localized issue that is moderate to severe, then cosmetic surgery may be the best fit for optimal results. The type of surgery will vary depending on the location and severity of the loose skin. Some of the surgeries that can correct loose skin include:
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
- A tummy tuck will not only address loose skin on the stomach but also repair torn or stretched muscles that provide core strength and influence posture. A tummy tuck will restore taut skin over the entire abdomen and will often eliminate the portion of skin that contains stretch marks.
- This surgery addresses the loose pouch of skin that may reside below the naval. It does not repair the abdominal muscles and only gives a smoother appearance to the area below the belly button.
- Upper Arm Lift
- Brachioplasty can restore the contoured, shapely look of the upper arm and eliminate “bat wings” or loose skin that hangs down due to weight loss and loss of skin elasticity.
- Breast Augmentation
- Many women opt for breast implants after losing 50 pounds or more and experiencing a loss of volume in their breasts. A breast lift can also address droopy or saggy breasts caused by excess skin after significant weight loss.
- Thigh Lift
- Depending on the amount of weight lost, individuals can be left with loose, flabby skin on their inner thighs or above their knees that cannot be addressed through diet or exercise. Removing the excess skin surgically with a thigh lift can create slimmer, more shapely-looking thighs.
- Butt Lift (Lower Body Lift)
- The back of the thigh, extending to the upper buttock area, can begin to sag after a substantial weight loss. A buttock lift or combination thigh-butt lift can be performed to eliminate these problem areas.
Addressing Loose Skin After Losing 50 Pounds Without Surgery
Most patients who lose 50 pounds have an array of non-surgical cosmetic procedures that can effectively treat the loose skin that is left behind.
There are an assortment of skin tightening treatments that do not require surgery and are effective in eliminating mild to moderately loose skin. Some of these treatments include:
- BodyTite is a minimally invasive procedure that uses radiofrequency-assisted lipolysis to break up fat deposits and tighten the skin at the same time. A two-part tool is inserted by the cosmetic surgeon during the BodyTite operation. The device at the bottom is a slim, cannula-like instrument and is used to reduce and smooth the fat layer beneath the skin.
The upper attachment carries the radiofrequency and is directly connected to the cannula. As the instrument is moved along under the skin, the upper paddle travels over the top of the skin’s layers and works in tandem with this cannula to deliver the desired results. Both the skin tightening and the fat removal happen simultaneously during the instrument’s movements.
- Evolve is a collection of body-contouring procedures that perform together to reduce extra body fat, tighten areas of loose skin, and tone various body areas. Evolve Tite, Evolve Trim, and Evolve Tone are a group of three non-surgical therapies that can repair and considerably improve a wide range of common problems that are experienced by many people. They can be used individually or in any combination.
All skin types can benefit from these quick, painless procedures. These treatments can be tailored to address the exact areas of concern for each patient without any associated downtime.
- Evolve Tite treats the skin’s subdermal layer to produce smoother, tighter skin that presents a more toned appearance. The treatment also jump-starts the growth of new collagen and elastin.
- Evolve Trim is used to target small areas of stubborn fat and can reduce the look of visible cellulite. Heat and a negative tissue vacuum are combined to accomplish this task.
- Evolve Tone – This treatment goes one step further after the fat has been eliminated and the skin has been tightened. It uses electronic muscle stimulation to help tone the muscles in the treatment area. When the areas of fat have been properly addressed and the skin tightened, Evolve Tone can enhance these areas by promoting muscle definition. You look like you have been working out, and your strength has increased in these areas.
- The PHYSIQ treatments also use EMS (electronic muscle stimulation) and heat to tighten loose skin, define muscles, and eliminate concentrated pockets of fat. These treatments take less than 30 minutes and can be completed during lunch!
Lifestyle Modifications To Maintain Healthy Skin And A Healthy Weight After Losing 50 Pounds
Toning and firming the skin can be achieved by leading a healthy lifestyle that involves eating a balanced diet and engaging in regular physical activity. The natural collagen and elastin in the skin will be replenished by eating a diet high in nutrient-dense meals. Exercises that involve weights will assist in building muscle and reduce some minor skin laxity.
Consulting With A Cosmetic Surgeon Before Losing Weight Can Be Beneficial
If you are preparing to lose a substantial amount of weight, you might want to set up a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Angelina Poestoev, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon with Surgicare Arts & Aesthetics. Understanding the different outcomes of weight loss can help you be prepared and have a plan to deal with stubborn fat deposits and loose skin that you might be left with.
SurgiCare Arts is a division of IBI Healthcare Institute and offers 360-degree support after weight loss. Dr. Angelina performs both surgical and non-surgical skin reduction procedures and is one of the country’s few cosmetic surgeons who specialize in thigh lift surgery.
SurgiCare Arts has convenient locations in Buckhead, Georgia, and the surrounding areas of Atlanta. To learn more about skin tightening or reduction procedures, contact us to set up an appointment today.