Liposuction, or sometimes referred to as “lipo,” is a surgical procedure that improves your body’s contours and proportions by eliminating unwanted fat deposits and slimming or reshaping particular areas of the body.
The techniques used for liposuction have improved and diversified over the years, and today it is the number one cosmetic procedure performed in the world.
If you are contemplating undergoing liposuction as a stand-alone procedure or as part of another surgery such as a tummy tuck or mommy makeover, you should have a good understanding of what is involved from start to finish. Many patients get excited about the changes that they are going to experience in the way their body looks (as well they should), but they do not think about the recovery involved. Being well prepared both physically and mentally will help your recovery go more smoothly.
Today, we are going to talk about the recovery time for lipo 360. We will talk about what to expect in the days and weeks during 360 lipo recovery.
Is There A Difference Between Lipo 360 Recovery And Liposuction Recovery?
Lipo 360 is a term that is used to describe the area of the body where liposuction is performed. For instance, liposuction can be done on only one area, such as a patient’s thighs, to make them slimmer and more contoured, or it can be done only on their waist to give them a more curvy appearance.
Lipo 360 indicates the procedure is performed on the patient’s entire torso or midsection. This would include the entire circumference of the abdomen (waist, back, sides)
The recovery time for lipo 360 will be very similar to what you would experience when only one area is treated and it will not be significantly longer. The difference will be that more areas will be sore at the same time.
What Do The Treated Areas Feel Like During 360 Liposuction Recovery?
Most people report feeling as though they have a huge bruise in the treated region. It shouldn’t be so intense that it disrupts your ability to focus on other tasks – reading, watching TV, walking, etc.
Patients who have realistic expectations of the procedure and follow all of their surgeon’s aftercare instructions are usually surprised that there is less pain than they anticipated. It is more of a soreness, tenderness, and tightness that makes them feel uncomfortable, but it can be managed with medication and is tolerable.
What Can I Expect During My Lipo 360 Recovery Day By Day?
- The Day Of Liposuction 360
- Immediately after your liposuction procedure, you will be taken to a recovery room where you will be observed to ensure everything looks good before you are discharged to go home. Some patients have adverse reactions to the anesthesia used during surgery, but these should subside within a few hours.
The numbing solution they used during your procedure should still be active, so you may not feel discomfort in the treatment areas until it wears off. Your surgeon will prescribe medication that can be used if necessary to make you feel more comfortable. Some patients discover that they no longer require this medication after a few days, but this varies by patient.
You need to begin wearing the compression garments that you and your surgeon have chosen for use after your liposuction procedure. It is crucial that you follow the instructions for their use provided to you by the surgeon.
Compression garments are an integral part of the recovery from lipo 360 because they help avoid complications as well as keep the normal side effects of bruising and swelling as minimal as possible.
You will wear compression garments for the duration of your recovery however the type of firmness of the garment may change as your lipo 360 recovery progresses.
- Lipo 360 Recovery – Days 2 to 6
- It’s normal for the area’s treated with liposuction to feel sore and uncomfortable but it is important that you try to rest as much as possible. Your body is designed to heal itself, but adequate rest is required to provide it with all of the resources it requires to recover properly.
Your surgeon will instruct you to take short but frequent walks around the house to prevent dangerous blood clots from forming. These “walks” may have started while you were in the recovery room with the assistance of a medical professional. These walks increase circulation, which helps to prevent complications after surgery and promotes faster healing.
You may feel stiff and limited in your mobility as the swelling and bruising set in. This is a normal part of your recovery, and most patients agree this is the most uncomfortable part of the lipo 360 recovery.
You may need some aftercare related to the incisions used to insert the liposuction cannula, so make sure you follow your doctor’s instructions.
It is a good idea to arrange for some help at home before your procedure because you will have activity restrictions and most likely be stiff and sore. If you have pets to care for or small children you may want to have someone stay with you for at least a week.
- Lipo 360 Recovery – The First Few Weeks
- The swelling and discomfort are usually at their peak during the first week and then begin to subside.It can take months before all the swelling is gone; however, the associated discomfort should subside quickly after the first week.
Many patients feel well enough to return to work after just a few days and others need about a week. If your job involves strenuous activity or heavy lifting you may need to either request an alternative work assignment or take more time off. Your surgeon can offer specific guidance depending on your circumstances.
After about a week, you will have a follow-up appointment, at which time your surgeon will clear you to begin showering (if they have not already). Depending on the extent of the fat removal and the areas treated, the time before patients are safe to shower may vary.
- Lipo 360 Recovery – One Month
- After a month of recovery, the majority of patients can resume their normal daily activities, including some light forms of exercise. Most patients are no longer experiencing tenderness or soreness in the areas that were treated, but they may still have visible bruising and swelling at this stage, which is still normal.
After four to six weeks, you should be able to resume your exercise routine and other physical activities that will help preserve your results.
By this time, much of the residual swelling has usually decreased, and you can start to see very visible results. Even though liposuction removes excess fat immediately and makes these areas smaller, it can be difficult to appreciate the results until the swelling subsides completely.
- Lipo 360 Recovery – Six Weeks And Beyond
- Most of the swelling and bruising from liposuction should have gone down by the time you reach the six-week mark, though some residual swelling may persist for a while longer.
Your doctor may release you from wearing compression garments at this time. Each patient’s recovery will progress at its own rate, so your surgeon will give you specific instructions. Feel free to ask your surgeon any questions you might have.
You should be able to see the full, final effects of your liposuction procedure after three to six months, and your body should be free of any signs of bruising.
Tips For Your Recovery Time From Lipo 360
The better you care for yourself after your lipo 360 procedure, the faster you will heal and be able to resume your normal daily routine. Recovering from any type of surgery, including liposuction, will take time, so be patient and don’t push yourself too hard or too fast. While your body’s natural immune system will do most of the work, you should do your part to give it all the help you can to ensure you heal properly.
- Get the proper nutrition you need to help support your immune system and maintain your results;
- Drink plenty of water (you can always flavor it with an infusion of fresh fruit);
- Get enough sleep;
- Keep your circulation moving with non-strengthening walking;
- Wear clothing that is comfortable and does not irritate your skin in the treatment areas;
- Avoid foods and beverages with high sodium contents;
- Do not go swimming or immerse yourself in any type of water until cleared by the surgeon;
- Avoid blood-thinning agents, anti-inflammatory medications (over-the-counter and prescription), and alcohol.
Preserving Results After Your 360 Lipo Recovery
The results of liposuction are meant to be permanent because the stored fat is permanently removed, and these fat cells cannot come back. However, it is critical that you understand that in the months and years following your lipo 360, you will need to make efforts to maintain your results.
Adhering to a healthy lifestyle, including a nutritious, well-proportioned diet and daily exercise, will help maintain a healthy weight and BMI. Although some of your fat cells were removed and are gone forever, the ones that remain can grow larger if you gain weight. The weight you gain will also be distributed differently because you no longer have all your original fat cells.
Liposuction can provide dramatic results and boost your confidence in ways you never thought possible. The professionals at SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics would love to talk with you about how we can help fulfill your aesthetic wishes through liposuction or other cosmetic procedures we offer.
Set up a consultation today to get all your questions answered and create a plan of care that will achieve your aesthetic goals.
Dr. Angelina Postoev, MD, FACS, a triple-board certified cosmetic surgeon, offers 360-degree liposuction to patients at SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics in their Georgia and Florida locations. Not local? No need to worry; the incredible team at SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics routinely cares for and provides for out-of-town patients!