In 2021 approximately 365,000 women in the U.S. choose to undergo breast augmentation according to statistics published in April 2022 by The Aesthetic Society. Another 148,000 women had previous implants removed and replaced with new ones. Breast implant surgery is one of the most sought-after cosmetic surgeries with one of the highest patient satisfaction rates.
If you are considering having breast implants you may have a lot of questions, the first one being “How much does breast implant surgery cost?” You also may wonder if your health insurance will cover any of the costs associated with breast implants.
Today we will explore the answers to these questions which should better prepare you for attending consultations and making all the necessary choices that can influence your results and the cost of your breast implant surgery.
Health Insurance And Breast Implants
Breast implant surgery is typically considered cosmetic surgery, except in rare circumstances, and is not covered by health insurance plans. They also will not cover the costs of any related complications you may experience. Some insurance companies also exclude certain coverages for women who have breast implants.
What Is The Average Cost In the United States Of Breast Implant Surgery?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average base cost for breast implant surgery is $4,516 in the United States. These base prices do not include surgeon’s fees, operating facility costs, fees for anesthesia, etc.
Also, base prices can vastly differ by U.S. state which means you can pay more in the North than in the South for the same procedure. For instance, base prices range between $7,000-9,000 in New York and $4,000-8,000 in Florida.
How Much Are Breast Implants in Atlanta, GA
What Factors Affect The Cost Of Breast Implant Surgery?
Various factors will influence how much your breast implant surgery costs. It is wise to perform due diligence so you can not only set your financial expectations but also ensure your safety and expected results.
For instance, if a doctor offers a suspiciously low-price quote it may not include all the fees associated with the procedure or the individual performing the procedure may not have the expertise to provide the results you want, or worse.
Some of the factors that will influence the cost of breast implant surgery include:
- Surgeon’s Fees
- A portion of the cost of breast implant surgery will cover the fees paid to the surgeon to perform the procedure. As in other professions, the higher the level of expertise and skill, the more the professional’s time is worth.It is wise to choose a surgeon that demonstrates an excellent track record in addition to any board certifications or accreditations they may hold. Look for patient reviews and before and after breast implant pictures. Meet with them in person, ask questions and get a sense of how comfortable you feel with them.
The costs associated with breast implant surgery are an investment you are making in yourself, you deserve the safest and highest-quality patient experience that delivers your desired aesthetics.
- Fees For The Anesthesiologist and Anesthesia Medication
- Similar to the surgeon, the fees for the anesthesiologist will be based on their certifications and experience and the medication costs will depend on how long the procedure lasts and how much is needed.
- Facility Fees
- There are fees that are paid to the hospital or surgical facility to cover the costs related to using their space, equipment, and disposable supplies. Many surgeons do not have their own proprietary operating theaters and must rent time by the minute from a hospital or another facility.
- Geographical Location
- Breast implant surgery costs can vary by where you live or where the surgery is being performed. For instance, you can expect the costs of breast implant surgery to be higher in locations that have a higher cost of living.The 2020 statistical report published by The American Society of Plastic Surgeons indicated that the East and West Coasts accounted for the majority of breast implant surgeries where the cost of living is generally higher so you can expect to pay more in those areas. You can get an idea of how much breast implant surgery will cost by performing an internet search using “how much will breast implant surgery cost near me”.
- Type Of Implants
- Breast implants can be filled with saline or with different types of silicone gel and are available in different shapes, widths (profiles), and sizes. Breast implant prices vary depending on the features you choose for your surgery.Silicone implants are typically about $1,000 more than the ones filled with saline.
- Combining Additional Procedures
- Many women combine breast implant surgery with other surgical procedures such as a breast lift which will influence the overall cost of the surgery.
- Other Costs
- Other costs that may be associated with breast implant surgery include any pre-surgical medical tests necessary, specialty post-surgical recovery garments, prescriptions, and follow-up appointments.There are also long-term costs associated with breast implants that include periodic MRI scans to ensure there are no leaks or ruptures. In addition, because breast implants are not designed to be lifelong devices, they need to be monitored and possibly removed and replaced after about 10 – 15 years.
Does Replacement Breast Implant Surgery Cost More?
Every year many women have their breast implants removed and replaced for reasons that include the repair of capsular contracture, the rare occurrence of an implant rupture, or sometimes women just change their minds and desire a different size implant.
Whatever the reason, replacing breast implants and correcting implant issues generally cost a bit more than the initial procedure.
Online Quotes For Price of Breast Implant Costs vs In-Person Consultation
Do not rely on a breast implant cost quote from an online source and meet face-to-face with a cosmetic surgeon. Most often, the quote you are receiving is just an estimate and calculated using a set of pre-programmed quantifiers based on the answers to a few simple questions you are asked during a brief survey.
While this is helpful information and may offer a quick ballpark figure, it most likely will not be completely accurate. There are so many factors to consider when it comes to the costs of a surgical procedure and the surgeon will need to go over them with you.
Speaking face-to-face with the cosmetic surgeon that will be performing your breast implant surgery will help avoid any unpleasant financial surprises and ensure you obtain the results you desire from the surgery.
How Can I Afford The Cost Of Breast Implant Surgery?
The answer to this question will vary by the individual patient, however, most cosmetic surgeons work with financing companies such as Care Credit and can divide the cost of the surgery down into monthly payments.
At your consultation, the cosmetic surgeon can provide you with an itemized quote that includes the breast implant prices to help you plan financially.
While everyone loves a bargain, when it comes to cosmetic surgery it is better to look at value vs cost because your safety and the results of your surgery are what is at stake.
The team of professionals at Surgicare Arts & Aesthetics understand your concerns and Dr. Angelina Posteov, a triple-board certified cosmetic surgeon takes every measure to ensure her patients have all their questions addressed before their procedure. Patient safety and comfort are paramount during the entire breast augmentation process.
If you are considering breast implants, set up a consultation today. The knowledgeable professionals at Surgicare Arts & Aesthetics are here to help you choose the best size, shape, and profile breast implant to deliver your desired result. Contact us today to learn more!