When a pocket of fat accumulates under your chin, it is called submental fat, more commonly known as the “double chin.” Living in the age of zoom meetings, facetime, and social media, we all spend a great deal of time looking at our own faces on a screen.
This has caused an influx of requests for facial cosmetic treatments to address a wide range of cosmetic concerns, including double chin fat removal. Today we are going to go over some different ways to eliminate a double chin, including both surgical and non-surgical options.
What Causes A Double Chin?
A double chin is frequently connected with weight gain; individuals who are not overweight can sometimes have double chins due to genetics or skin laxity as a result of aging.
Losing some weight can often reduce or eliminate a double chin if this was the underlying cause; however, surgery or a cosmetic procedure may be necessary to obtain the results you desire.
How Can You Get Rid Of A Double Chin?
Depending on the cause and severity of the double chin, cosmetic surgery might be performed to remove a double chin, or it may be reduced or corrected using a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that does not involve surgery.
- Yoga And Exercise
- For years, there have been exercises and home remedies claiming to help get rid of a double chin. Today, people on TikTok are doing yoga for their faces and necks, including an exercise called the “anti-double chin exercise.” It entails tilting your head back and pushing your tongue up to the roof of your mouth to strengthen your neck muscles. These exercises might help prevent a “double chin” by tightening the neck muscles, but they are not going to do much for a “double chin” that is already there.
Although exercise helps tone muscles, it does little for loose skin. So, exercises may very well help your neck muscles get tighter, but the skin that covers them probably will not change. But chin exercises can help tighten the jawline, strengthen the neck muscles, and make a double chin less noticeable.
If you’ve tried at-home treatments and aren’t happy with the results, you might want to try a procedure in a doctor’s office. Treatments done by a professional are often more effective than those done at home, and the results may be seen right away and last longer.
Cosmetic Surgery for Double Chin Removal
- 1. Liposuction
- This surgery eliminates fat beneath the skin and contours the chin and neck. A special solution is injected under the skin before the procedure, which numbs the treatment area and helps loosen the fat cells that will be removed. A tiny incision is made under the skin, and then a tube-like tool is inserted that vacuums out the fat. Chin liposuction usually only requires a local anesthetic to numb the general region.
- 2. Surgical Facelift
- During facelift surgery, surgeons are able to surgically remove excess fat and drooping skin from the area around the neck and chin, effectively eliminating the appearance of a double chin.
- 3. Surgical Neck Lift
- A neck-lift helps to modify the shape of the neck and chin by removing excess skin or tightening neck muscles. Cosmetic surgeons sometimes combine a neck lift with a standard facelift for optimal results.
Double Chin Removal Without Surgery
If you are looking for an alternative to cosmetic surgery for double chin removal, there are several less-invasive cosmetic treatments available.
SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics offers the following treatments that can perform double chin removal without surgery or extended downtimes.
- 1. FaceTite
- FaceTite is a minimally invasive procedure that uses advanced radiofrequency technology to tighten the skin from the inside out. During the process, radiofrequency is selectively targeted and used to heat the lower dermal layers (which consist primarily of collagen), which tightens, tones, and rejuvenates the skin from within.
In addition to strengthening existing collagen strands, the technique stimulates the body’s natural collagen synthesis. FaceTite can significantly reduce or eliminate submental fat and the appearance of a double chin.
- 2. Evoke
- Evoke uses radiofrequency (RF) heat to restructure the tissue and muscle in the targeted area by penetrating the deep layers of the skin. It revitalizes the skin by efficiently repositioning fat and tightening the skin, counteracting the visible signs of aging and resulting in a more youthful look. Evoke is an effective, non-invasive double chin removal treatment.
The Evoke treatment operates by transmitting radiofrequency through soft contact pads that are placed on the treatment area and that warm slightly. The energy passes from one pad to the next, targeting skin regions that have not yet been heated in a targeted and methodical manner. This ensures that the correct amount of RF is used to achieve the desired result without over- or undertreating regions.
A specially designed headgear is worn by the patient, and a series of fully programmable, hands-free applicators are used to deliver the bipolar RF energy to the target problem areas such as the cheeks, jawline, jowls, and neck.
- 3. Kybella
- Deoxycholic acid, an injectable therapy for a double chin, is a new advancement in anti-aging research. Kybella, an injectable drug containing deoxycholic acid, is the first injectable non-surgical treatment that can eliminate pockets of excess fat.
The gallbladder utilizes deoxycholic acid to break down dietary fat similarly, and double chin removal with Kybella involves injecting this chemical under the chin, causing submental fat to dissolve, which the body absorbs and eliminates. More than 135,000 Kybella injections were administered by cosmetic surgeons in 2020, according to a study by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Sometimes Kybella is used in conjunction with Botox to eliminate fat cells, then Botox relaxes the neck muscles to achieve a tighter jawline.
Depending on the patient and the degree of extra fat needing removal, more than one treatment may be necessary.
Where Can I Have Double Chin Fat Removal?
If you are bothered by the presence of a double chin, there are things that can be done to eliminate it. Contact Surgicare Arts & Aesthetics today to set up a consultation and learn about the options available.
Dr. Angelina Postoev, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon, and her professional medical team perform cosmetic surgery and non-surgical procedures that can safely and effectively eliminate a double chin, leaving you with a more defined, slimmer-looking profile. Contact us today to set up your appointment!