When we think about hair loss, most people associate it with men, but this condition also affects many women. Although it may not result in them becoming bald, their hair thins out considerably and noticeably.
Everyone has an idea of what is “normal” for them when it comes to how much hair they shed. If you are shedding more hair than usual or you feel your hair is becoming visibly thinner, it may be a sign that something is not quite right.
Fortunately, there are many different solutions to help stop hair loss and we are going to discuss and compare two of these products today Viviscal vs Viviscal pro.
Understanding Why Hair Loss Happens
Understanding the reasons behind hair loss can help you and your doctor choose the best plan of treatment. Shedding hair is part of the normal growth cycle so some hair loss should be expected. The natural cycle of growth for hair occurs in three basic stages:
- The Anagen Stage – the phase of time when hair is actively growing or new hair is sprouting.
- The Catagen Stage – the relatively short transition phase when the hair stops growing and is preparing to shed.
- The Telogen Stage consists of two phases; a rest period and then a release period or (exogen phase). The hair follicle rests for up to three months and then these hairs are shed. The follicles normally remain dormant for a few months before new hair sprouts in that location.
Not all the hair follicles on your head are in the same phase at the same time. Thank goodness, or we would all periodically go bald! Normally the majority of the hair follicles (80-85%) are in the Anagen stage and approximately 3% in the Catagen state and another 6-8% in the telogen stage.
Some hair loss is a perfectly normal part of the hair growth cycle and is nothing to worry about. If excessive amounts of hair are being shed then it is time to look for underlying causes.
Potential Underlying Causes Of Hair Loss
There are a number of different factors that can contribute to excess hair loss. Identifying these factors will help to determine the best treatment to use to stop the issue.
- Hormonal Changes
- Hormonal changes can occur during menopause, pregnancy, from the use of oral contraceptives, etc. These hormone imbalances can interrupt the normal hair growth cycle and cause abnormal activity. For instance, during pregnancy, a woman’s hair usually becomes thicker and grows longer but then several weeks after she has her baby, she sees tremendous hair shedding. This is caused by the sudden changes in her hormone levels and is only a temporary condition.
- As we age, the number of hair follicles per square centimeter tends to decrease, which causes hair thinning and a reduction in hair volume.
- Stress can be a factor in how smoothly our hair growth cycle works. Our adrenal glands work overtime when we are experiencing stress and can cause an increase in DHT (a derivative of testosterone) which can affect the healthy growth cycle and the condition of our hair. Excess DHT levels can affect both men and women.
- Stressful Event
- Telogen effluvium is a form of hair loss that commonly occurs 2 to 3 months after our body endures a traumatic event such as major surgery, a long illness, or a serious infection. Many individuals have reported significant hair loss after having Covid-19.
It manifests as a moderate amount of hair shedding from all parts of the head. Hair can appear thinner in spots but it would be very rare to see large bald spots.
- Hair loss can occur as a side effect of certain drugs or medications.
- Medical Condition
- An illness such as Lupus, Alopecia, Tinea Capitis, a thyroid disorder, etc can present with symptoms of hair loss.
- Poor Diet
- A diet that is deficient in critical nutrients can promote hair loss. The hair follicles are one of the last places on the body that receive nutrients so eating a healthy diet and making sure to consume enough protein and vitamins & minerals like biotin, vitamin C, silica, magnesium, and essential fatty acids are important to hair health.
- Over Styling
- Wearing certain hairstyles, using harsh hair care products, or syling the hair with hair irons, hot tools, overprocessing the hair, etc may experience hair loss or damage.
- Smoking causes poor circulation and can inhibit blood flow to the hair follicles and can affect healthy hair growth.
Is There Anything We Can Do To Proactively Prevent Excessive Hair Loss?
In some cases, medical intervention will be necessary to mitigate hair loss but in other cases, being proactive can help prevent a problem from starting. Ensuring that we get enough of the nutrients that are known to promote healthy hair is a good start.
Viviscal hair growth supplements can help maintain healthy hair and correct deficiencies we may have that are contributing to excessive hair shedding or dull unhealthy looking hair.
The original formula of Viviscal was tested in a small study in 2012 and showed tangible results for the women taking it during the 180-day study. Women who used Viviscal showed significant hair growth and shine along with benefits to their skin.
The second version of Viviscal is now available called Viviscal Pro and it seems the main difference between Viviscal and Viviscal Pro is there are some new ingredients included in the Pro version that replaced ingredients in the original formula. Let’s look at the ingredients side by side and see what has changed.
|Key Ingredients||Viviscal||Viviscal Pro|
|AminoMar* marine complex||450 mg||475 mg|
|Apple Extract||0||40 mg|
|Horsetail Extract||36.7 mg||0|
|Millet Seed Extract||7.5 mg||0|
When comparing Viviscal vs Viviscal Pro you will notice that in the Pro version, the horsetail extract and millet seed extract have been replaced by Apple Extract, L-Cystine, and L-Methionine. The proprietary ingredient AminoMar® has been increased by 25mg.
What Are The Benefits Of The Ingredients In Viviscal vs Viviscal Pro?
- Millet Seed
- In clinical trials, millet seed extract was proven effective in creating strong hair roots that are firmly anchored in the scalp which helped prevent excess hair loss and promote hair growth.
- Horsetail Extract
- The horsetail plant contains the mineral silica which helps promote strong hair, nails, and bones.
- Apple Extract
- A study conducted in 2018 reported that apple extract taken from Annurca apples that grow in Southern Italy which have a high concentration of Procyanidin B2 was effective in promoting hair growth, keratin content, and in increasing hair weight. Patients in the trial were given apple extract along with biotin, zinc, and a few others. After only a month showed a marked difference in their hair and skin.
- A scientific study was conducted on individuals who were experiencing hair loss where some patients were given a special concoction of L-cysteine, millet seed extract, and pantothenic acid, and the other was given a placebo. The group receiving the concoction experienced a reduction in hair loss and new hair growth while the other group experienced no change.
L-cysteine is an amino acid that helps make protein. It is one of the few amino acids that can make disulfide bonds which are key elements in hair and provides the hair with elasticity and strength.
- This amino acid is critical for cellular health and is one of the main building blocks of protein. Our bodies do not naturally produce L-Methionine and so we must get it from our dietary sources like meat, some beans, and eggs. It contains sulfur which is also needed to form keratin so it is a key ingredient that is needed to create healthy hair.
There are some differences between Viviscal and Viviscal Pro but both have proven effective in helping individuals with hair loss and regrowth. Viviscal Pro products are only available from authorized retailers and professionals such as Surgicare Arts & Aesthetics. Viviscal Pro shampoo, conditioner, elixir, and dietary supplements are available from our convenient online shop.
If you are experiencing excessive shedding or would like to help enhance the texture, shine, and length of your hair, contact Surgicare Arts & Aesthetics. Our team of professionals is here to answer your questions and address your concerns. Set up a consultation today to learn more about Viviscal Pro and available cosmetic treatments that can help mitigate hair loss.