What if you are a young girl and have developed earlier than your peers and have very large breasts? You are at one of the most critical times in your life when you are just trying to blend in, and now you look very different from your friends. If you can relate, then you are not alone, and you may benefit from breast reduction surgery. Today we are going to talk about surgical breast reduction for 16-year-olds and other young teenage girls.
Positive Body Image And Breasts
The ideal breast size has varied throughout history and across cultures and in the United States, the ideal breast size has evolved over time, with different preferences at different points in history. From the 1920s, when smaller breasts were considered more fashionable, until now, there has been a shift towards a more exaggerated hourglass figure, with larger breasts becoming more desirable.
There is still a cultural emphasis on large breasts in the United States, which is reflected in various forms of media, including advertisements, music videos, movies, and even cartoons. Many people in our society equate larger breasts with beauty, femininity, and sexuality.
Many women choose to have implants to increase the volume and size of their breasts so they can achieve this much-desired look. No doubt, cosmetic surgery advancements have offered these women the wonderful opportunity to enhance an area of aesthetic concern and boost their self-esteem.
Larger Doesn’t Necessary Mean Better
Most women want to have the assurance that they look attractive without sticking out and drawing too much attention to themselves. Any cosmetic imperfection that makes us look too different from our peers tends to affect our self-confidence.
Women who have breasts that do not fill out a bathing suit may feel self-conscious about going to the beach or pool with their peers. Fortunately, she has the option of undergoing a surgical breast augmentation if she desires larger breasts.
Breasts come in all shapes and sizes, and there is no one “ideal” breast size. Women should be able to feel comfortable and confident in their bodies, regardless of their breast size, and society should promote body positivity and acceptance.
How Large Breasts Affect A Young Girl
It may seem that females who are endowed with large breasts are fortunate, lucky, or blessed, but it may surprise you to know that the majority of them do not feel this way. They feel embarrassed, abnormal, unaccepted, picked on, depressed, and more.
Some of the issues a young girl may experience if she develops large breasts may include:
- Emotional and social issues: Large breasts can draw unwanted attention and make a girl feel self-conscious or uncomfortable. This can lead to emotional distress, social isolation, and even bullying.
- Physical discomfort: large breasts can be heavy and cause pain in the neck, shoulders, and back. The straps of their bra can cut into their shoulders, leaving grooves or even causing bleeding. They can also cause skin irritation and chafing, particularly if the girl is physically active.
- Clothing and fitting issues: It can be challenging for a girl with large breasts to find clothing that fits well and is comfortable. This can lead to frustration and affect her self-esteem.
- Sexualization: People may sexualize large breasts, which can result in unwanted attention, harassment, or objectification.
One Young Girls Story Of A Breast Reduction
With the emergence of social media, many girls have started talking about their experiences with developing large breasts at a young age.
One YouTube influencer recently shared her breast reduction story, recounting her depression in middle school from the constant stares she received from the other kids. She was unable to wear the cute, age-appropriate clothing the other girls were wearing because it did not fit her, so she resorted to wearing large, bulky t-shirts.
Things only got worse in high school, as the kids would talk about her as she walked down the hallways. Boys would try to talk to her or date her just because she has large breasts without knowing or caring anything about her personality. She stopped trusting anyone and began to withdraw into herself and hide her body in clothing that was too large for her frame.
She would try to buy dresses for school dances but could rarely find any that fit. Most of the dresses would allow her size H breasts to spill out and over the neckline, making them inappropriate. She expressed several times during her video how desperately she just wanted to be a normal girl and do the things that other kids her age were able to do.
She did not feel comfortable playing sports, going to the pool, or doing anything else that would draw attention to her large chest. She said she had been thinking about having a breast reduction at age 16, but plastic surgery also seemed a bit scary.
She waited until she was 18 years old and a senior in high school, and then underwent the 4-hour surgery to reduce the size of her breasts. The surgeon removed about one pound of breast tissue from each breast and reduced her size H breasts to a size D.
She is now free from back and shoulder pain and feels more confident. She feels like someone released her from a cage full of shame and embarrassment and is now free to be herself. She was in tears while choosing a dress for her senior prom because there were many that fit and looked amazing on her. Breast reduction surgery has made her feel like a normal girl, and it has changed her life.
Can A 16-Year-Old Get A Breast Reduction?
Generally, a 16-year-old may be considered a candidate for breast reduction surgery if they have fully developed breasts, are physically healthy, and have realistic expectations about the outcome of the surgery.
In most cases, the decision to undergo breast reduction surgery is based on medical reasons, such as chronic back, neck, or shoulder pain, skin irritation or rashes under the breasts, or difficulty performing physical activities. In some cases, breast reduction surgery may also be recommended to alleviate psychological issues such as low self-esteem or body image concerns.
Eligibility for breast reduction surgery depends on several factors, including the individual’s age, overall health, and breast size. However, the final decision regarding eligibility for breast reduction surgery is made on a case-by-case basis after a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. The surgeon will evaluate the individual’s physical and emotional health and assess their breast size and shape, as well as any other factors that may affect the outcome of the surgery.
What Makes a Young Girl a Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?
Provided certain criteria are met, a 16-year-old can have breast reduction surgery. Some of the criteria that may be required include:
- 1. Parental consent:
- Unless emancipated, a minor who desires to have cosmetic surgery needs the signed consent of their parent or legal guardian.
- 2. Fully developed breasts:
- Breast reduction surgery is typically not recommended until the breasts have fully developed. This phase of breast development is also known as Tanner Stage 5. Performing a breast reduction prior to the completion of growth can result in undesirable cosmetic outcomes. This may occur by the age of 16, but the timing may vary from person to person.
- 3. Physical or emotional discomfort or pain:
- Breast reduction surgery is primarily performed to alleviate physical symptoms associated with large breasts, such as chronic back, neck, or shoulder pain, skin irritation or rashes under the breasts, and difficulty performing physical activities. It can also be performed to improve the patient’s emotional state of health.
- 4. Realistic expectations:
- It is important to have realistic expectations about the outcome of breast reduction surgery. While the procedure can reduce the size and weight of the breasts, it may not eliminate all physical discomfort or pain. It is important to discuss your expectations and goals with a qualified breast reduction surgeon to determine if they are realistic and achievable.
- 5. Good overall health:
- Breast reduction is a major surgical procedure that requires general anesthesia and carries some risks and potential complications. To be eligible for the procedure, you should be in good overall health and free from any medical conditions that may increase the risk of complications.
- 6. Psychological readiness:
- It is important to be emotionally prepared for the surgery and to have a positive outlook on the potential outcomes. It is important that the patient is mature enough to understand the long-term outcome of this type of procedure and that the reduction surgery may impact her ability to breastfeed a baby in the future.
Should My 16-Year-Old Get A Breast Reduction?
If you are the parent of a minor and they have large breasts, it may be up to you to begin a conversation with your daughter. Kids have so much pressure on them to excel in school, and then there are the social pressures, both in person and online, they have to deal with. Because of her overly large breasts, your daughter may be experiencing a whole new level of social pressure that she was never equipped to handle.
As parents, we should do all we can to provide emotional support and create a safe and supportive environment for our girls to feel comfortable and confident in their bodies. However, we cannot ignore real issues. Here are some signs that your daughter may be struggling with her body image due to her large breasts:
- Her demeanor has changed, and she appears unusually withdrawn;
- She wears baggy clothing or many layers to avoid revealing her figure;
- She avoids any public activities that involve bathing suits or changing in locker rooms with other girls her age;
- Her posture is poor, and she appears to be continually slouched over;
- She avoids physical activity or activities that she would normally or formerly enjoy; (Something like running or gymnastics that she can no longer comfortably do because of the size of her breasts)
- She becomes emotional when shopping for clothes or has become totally disinterested in clothing.
Should A Teenager Consider Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast size is influenced by genetics, hormones, and body weight, and every girl’s body develops at a different pace. If a young girl is experiencing issues related to large breasts, it’s important to seek medical advice and support.
A cosmetic surgeon is a great resource to discuss the details of breast reduction surgery and can personally assess the patient’s unique circumstances. They may be able to recommend interim solutions such as physical therapy or custom-fitted bras that may provide some level of short-term relief.
The cosmetic surgeon can help put a plan of care in place if the young girl is not quite ready for surgery but desires it in the future. Some elements the surgeon must take into consideration before performing a breast reduction on a 16-year-old may include whether their breasts are done growing and if their weight has been relatively stable. Then there may also be timing issues to consider.
Who Do I Contact To Discuss A Breast Reduction For A 16-Year-Old Teenager?
For girls who have suffered from pain, self-esteem issues, activity restrictions, social anxiety, a lack of appropriate clothing options, and more hardships, breast reduction surgery can be life-changing.
For a 16-year-old, breast reduction surgery may significantly affect their quality of life and their self-esteem and, in some cases, alleviate psychological issues such as depression and anxiety.
At SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics, we understand that adolescence is hard enough already, and we would like to help alleviate any sources of social anxiety and body image issues we can. We are available to share breast reduction surgery information with you so you can make an informed decision about the one that is best for you.
Dr. Angelina Postoev is a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon and highly skilled in the art of breast reduction surgery. The knowledgeable and compassionate professionals at SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics will answer any questions you may have and address your concerns. Set up your consultation today to learn about your options for breast reduction surgery and living your best life.