Breast reduction surgery, also known as reduction mammoplasty, is a transformative procedure that is done to reduce the size and reshape a woman’s breasts to alleviate physical discomfort and improve her overall body proportions.
If you are considering breast reduction surgery, it is natural to wonder about the details of the procedure and what to expect during the surgical process. Today we will talk about the various factors that can influence how long breast reduction surgery can take and what patients can anticipate during the surgical journey.
What Is Involved In A Breast Reduction?
- Reduction mammoplasty begins with the administration of general anesthesia to ensure the patient’s comfort and safety during the procedure;
- Next, the surgeon carefully plans and marks the incision pattern on the breasts using one of many techniques (Anchor, lollipop, etc.). The choice of incision technique depends on the extent of reduction required and the desired final breast shape;
- Once the incisions are made, the surgeon removes excess breast tissue, fat, and skin, depending on the patient’s individual needs and aesthetic goals;
- In many cases, the nipples are repositioned to a higher position to achieve a more natural and more youthful look. This is done while taking every precaution to preserve the blood supply and sensation. Also, if the areolas (the darker, pigmented skin around the nipples) are enlarged, they can be resized to match the new breast size and shape;
- After removing the excess tissue, the surgeon reshapes the remaining breast tissue to achieve a more lifted and aesthetically pleasing contour;
- Finally, the incisions are carefully closed using sutures, and In some cases, absorbable sutures may be used, eliminating the need to have them removed later.
Patients are typically discharged on the same day or after a short observation period and are sent home with detailed aftercare instructions.
How Long Does A Breast Reduction Procedure Take?
On average, breast reduction surgery may take anywhere from two to five hours from start to finish; however, the duration of a breast reduction procedure can vary depending on many different factors. The complexity of the surgery, the patient’s specific anatomical characteristics, and the surgeon’s technique and experience can all play a part in the duration of a surgical procedure. Factors that can influence how long a breast reduction surgery can take include:
- Surgical Technique
- Breast reduction surgery can be performed using different surgical techniques and types of incisions. The choice of technique will depend on the extent of tissue removal and the desired outcome. Each technique may require different amounts of time to complete.
- The Extent Of The Reduction Or Combining Procedures
- The amount of breast tissue that needs to be removed to achieve the desired size and shape of the breasts can influence how long the breast reduction surgery takes. Patients with larger breasts or those seeking a more substantial reduction may require a longer surgery.
In some cases, breast reduction surgery may be combined with other procedures, such as a breast lift (mastopexy) or liposuction. Combining procedures can impact the overall duration of the surgery.
- Surgical Experience:
- The experience and skill of the plastic surgeon also play a crucial role in the duration of the breast reduction procedure. A highly experienced surgeon may be more efficient in performing the surgery while maintaining precision and safety.
Prior to undergoing a reduction mammoplasty, patients should have a detailed consultation with a board-certified cosmetic surgeon to discuss their goals and expectations, as well as the specific factors that may impact how long their breast reduction procedure may take.
What Is The First Step When Contemplating A Breast Reduction?
The first thing you need to do when considering breast reduction is choose a skilled and experienced surgeon who prioritizes safety as well as precision. A surgeon such as Dr. Angelina Postoev, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon at SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics. Choosing a highly skilled surgeon who combines artistry and technique will safely yield the results you are looking for.
During your consultation at SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics, we will answer any questions you may have and address your concerns. We will also prepare you so you know exactly what you will experience on your breast reduction journey and have a clear understanding of the procedure’s timeline and potential outcomes.
You do not have to live your life in physical pain or deal with the emotional anxiety that overly large breasts can create. A breast reduction can provide you with much-needed relief and a renewed sense of self-confidence. Set up a consultation with SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics today to learn how a reduction mammoplasty can help enhance your quality of life.