Today we are going to talk a bit about a procedure that has increased in popularity by 78% around the globe within the last decade. The Brazilian butt lift can enhance your figure and give you that curvy appeal that looks great from any vantage point.
We will delve into how the procedure is done and how to maintain your results. We will also answer the most frequently asked questions about weight gain and weight loss after a Brazilian butt lift.
Beauty Trends Across The Decades: How Did We Get Here?
We are so fortunate to live in the days when advancements in cosmetic procedures and surgeries make it possible to enhance our natural beauty. If there are things we are unhappy with on our bodies, we do not have to just live with them; we have the option to change them.
Over the years, the benchmark for beauty has changed many times. Women who were overweight or obese were looked upon as beautiful up until the mid-19th century, when this shifted to a slighter shape and a small waist, rounded shoulders, long, thin fingers, and small feet. Next came the Gibson Girl look, which was a mixture of the two previous trends, consisting of voluptuous, curvy hips with a skinny waist and legs.
The 20s had us binding our breasts to look more flat-chested and emphasizing skinny legs. This was also the first time in history that weight loss advertisements for women began to appear. In the 40s, breasts made a comeback and never left, but by the 60s, looking underweight was all the rage and continued into the late 90s with the addition of the muscular build gaining attention in the 80s.
Today’s idea of beauty seems to be a mixture of elements from the past with a focus on looking healthy. This current standard of beauty seems to have reverted a bit to the days of the Gibson Girl, but with a twist; this modern girl has some booty. This beauty ideal has been spurred on by popular celebrities like the Kardashians, Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce, etc.
How Is A Brazilian Butt Lift Done?
Historically, silicone implants were the only option to add volume to your derriere, but those were not always accepted by the body and came with more complications.
Today, a BBL is done through a combination of liposuction surgery and fat grafting. Since the fat used to enhance your buttocks comes from your body, there is no chance it will be rejected; however, there is still a percentage of transplanted fat cells that do not survive.
The Steps Of A Brazilian Butt Lift
- The Brazilian butt lift starts with the surgeon performing liposuction on different areas of the patient’s body to remove viable fat cells for transplant. This is the added bonus of the BBL procedure because you get some of your problem areas slimmed down, like your waist, abdomen, thighs, back, and sometimes hips.
- Once the fat is removed, it is put through a special process in a centrifuge to purify it before it is used to enhance the buttocks.
- Next, the surgeon injects the fat cells into the buttocks to add volume to the targeted areas. These areas are over-injected with the expectation that between 20% and 30% of the fat cells will not survive the transplantation.
Fat cells need a blood supply to remain viable, so when they are moved from one location to another, they need to establish a connection to a new blood supply within a certain amount of time to survive.
This is why it is so important that you do not put any weight at all on your buttocks after having a BBL. These newly transplanted fat cells are fragile and can be easily crushed. There are specialty pillows and mattresses that are made for patients to use during their BBL recovery.
Some are constructed with holes cut out to help keep any pressure off your buttocks when you sit or lie down. It is recommended that patients sleep on their stomachs, but if you are strictly a back sleeper, one of these BBL mattresses will be a lifesaver.
Getting Optimal Results From Your BBL
- Wear Your Compression Garments As Instructed
- After your BBL procedure, you will need to wear compression garments for anywhere between 4 and 6 weeks. These special garments help keep swelling and bruising to a minimum and therefore aid in preventing pain and discomfort. They also hold everything in place and provide support in key locations while everything is healing up. Your surgeon will instruct you in the proper use of the garments for your circumstances.
- Take Good Care Of Yourself
- Following all aftercare instructions provided by your surgeon and taking care to keep any weight off of the areas with the fat grafts will help you get the results you desire from your Brazilian butt lift. Your aftercare will also entail taking very good care of yourself and making sure you are giving your body everything it needs to complete the healing process.
This means a healthy diet including plenty of protein, fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Staying properly hydrated and getting enough sleep are the key things your body needs to get optimal performance from your immune system.
FAQs About Maintaining The Results Of Your BBL
Here are the answers to the questions we get most often about preserving the results of a BBL.
1. Because liposuction is used as part of the BBL procedure, is weight loss another benefit of a BBL?
Liposuction does remove fat from your problem areas, which can smooth out your contours and enhance the shape of your waist, thighs, hips, and other lipo locations; however, it is not a weight loss procedure.
When patients have a liposuction-only procedure, it is possible that they may lose a pound or two, but when the fat is processed and then used to enhance the volume of your buttocks, the amount lost in the purification process is minimal.
You are not really removing any fat from your body, it is just being redistributed, so it will not significantly impact your weight. You will lose inches and will look smaller in certain areas after liposuction, so you may look as if you lost weight.
2. Should I lose weight before I have a Brazilian butt lift?
Before you undergo a BBL, you should be close to your ideal weight. That being said, you need to have enough extra fat available to transfer to your buttocks. The best course of action would be to meet with your cosmetic surgeon and come up with a plan of care for your procedure. The cosmetic surgeon can determine if your current weight will provide you with the BBL results you want or if adjustments should be made before proceeding with your BBL.
3. What will happen if I experience weight loss after Brazilian butt lift surgery?
Maintaining a stable weight after a BBL is essential if you wish to preserve the results of your surgery. You won’t see major changes if you lose just a little bit of weight, but you do not want to go on any kind of diet plan right after a BBL because the newly moved fat is very fragile.
Once the fat that was moved from one area to another successfully grafts, it will have the same physiological response to weight loss as the other fat cells. This means that if you experience any weight loss after BBL surgery, it will affect the amount of volume you worked so hard to add to your booty.
4. What happens if I gain weight after having a Brazilian butt lift?
The new fat that was transferred to your buttocks is going to respond just like any other fat cells in your body once they are established. If you gain weight, those fat cells are going to get bigger. Keep in mind, however, that the fat cells in the rest of your body will get bigger too.
Additionally, since you had liposuction, some of your fat cells are no longer located where they used to be, so you may gain weight in unexpected places. Cosmetic surgeons recommend that you do your best to maintain a steady weight after having a Brazilian butt lift so your results remain pristine.
Contact SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics For Your BBL Procedure
A Brazilian butt lift offers remarkable and drastic results because the procedure does double duty. It helps slim down and smooth out your body, trimming your waist just enough to help accentuate the volume that is added to your buttocks.
If you are considering a Brazilian butt lift to enhance your figure, contact SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics today to discuss your aesthetic goals. Dr. Angelina Postoev, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon, has an eye for detail, and she takes time to get to know her patients and understand their desires.
She has your best interest, safety, and desired results in mind and will give you her honest recommendations. She will ensure that she answers all your questions and that you understand every aspect of the procedure and what to expect during recovery. There is a good reason why she was voted one of Atlanta’s top cosmetic surgeons! Contact us today to learn more about how SurgiCare Arts can help you attain the results you desire.