Mommy makeovers are becoming quite popular these days and as such we are receiving many questions about what types of procedures a mommy makeover consists of and particularly does it include a BBL.
Generally, a mommy makeover concentrates on the parts of the body that are most impacted and altered by pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. Typically a mommy makeover refreshes or repairs the tummy, abdomen, breasts, and vaginal area.
Can I Customize My Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is completely customizable and can consist of any cosmetic surgery or non-surgical cosmetic procedure that will deliver the patient’s desired result.
Then the question becomes how many procedures can be done at the same time as part of a mommy makeover? This will depend on the procedures that are being combined during the same session and the surgeon who is performing your mommy makeover.
What Does A Standard Mommy Makeover Include?
Mommy makeovers most often consist of:
- liposuction to remove unwanted fat deposits,
- a tummy tuck to eliminate stretched skin and to repair diastasis, and
- a breast lift to fix saggy breasts.
Other procedures can be done as a part of a mommy makeover and sometimes to obtain the results desired by the patient, more than one surgery is necessary.
Can You Do A Mommy Makeover With A BBL?
This is a very popular question and the answer is a bit tricky! If the patient is having a tummy tuck as part of their mommy makeover, it will make doing a Brazilian butt lift (BBL) simultaneously challenging for both surgeon and patient.
If the patient does not require a surgical tummy tuck and liposuction and a skin tightening procedure would yield the desired results, a BBL done as part of the mommy makeover would be more feasible. If the two procedures are staggered with a healing period in between then you can include a BBL as part of a mommy makeover.
Challenges Of Adding A BBL to A Mommy Makeover
- Fat availability – liposuction is often used during a mommy makeover but some patients have more excess fat than others. During a BBL, fat from the patient is liposuctioned from other areas of the body, processed for use, and then injected into the buttocks to create the fullness and shape desired. The patient must have enough fat available to remove via liposuction from other parts of the body to use on the buttocks. Body contouring of the thighs, hips, love handles, and back work well when combined with a BBL.
- Surgery length – patient safety is every surgeon’s first priority and as such, they strive to mitigate any associated risks. Prolonged operative times increase risks. A mommy makeover combines several procedures into one surgery session but careful consideration is given to which procedures are combined during one session.
- Patient recovery – one of the most challenging issues faced if a Brazilian butt lift is added to a mommy makeover is the recovery period. After a tummy tuck, or breast augmentation, recovery warrants that the patient can not sleep on their stomachs. It makes sense that these two procedures be combined as recovery would be in sync.
After undergoing a BBL, patients must keep any weight off their backside with the exception of using the bathroom – some surgeons will offer specific instructions regarding using the toilet. The fat that has been injected (grafted) onto the buttocks needs a chance to attach and care must be taken to not damage it. About 20% of the fat grafted will not survive. If you can not put any weight on your bottom and you can not sleep on your stomach, recovery is going to be difficult.
Should You Combine A BBL With a Tummy Tuck?
Combining a tummy tuck and a Brazilian butt lift during the same surgery would probably not be recommended for most patients due to the extended surgery times and the recovery of one procedure could compromise the healing of the other. Also, some surgeons warn that combining these two procedures offers a higher risk of deep vein thrombosis.
Is a BBL or Tummy Tuck Done First?
Most surgeons will agree that a BBL should be done initially followed by the tummy tuck about 3 months later. This will ensure that there is an ample amount of fat available to transfer to the buttocks during the BBL. Surgeons add more fat than actually desired to the buttocks during a BBL because not all of the transferred fat will survive.
While it would be understandable why a patient would want to do a mommy makeover with a BBL, the surgeon must determine that the length of the surgery and associated recovery would be safe for the patient.
If you are interested in learning more about a mommy makeover or including a Brazilian butt lift in your mommy makeover package, please contact SurgiCare Arts to learn more about mommy makeover customization. You deserve to pamper yourself, call today to set up your personal consultation.
Angelina Postoev, MD, FACS, a triple-board certified cosmetic surgeon, and Christopher Ibikunle, MD, FACS, offer Mommy Makeovers for women in Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Johns Creek, Buckhead, and the surrounding areas of Georgia.