Breast augmentation surgery has been around for many years and is still one of the top cosmetic procedures requested today. Women have a plethora of choices these days for breast enhancement. There are different shapes, sizes, and materials available for implants or an option for a fat transfer breast augmentation. Some women desire larger breasts but they are concerned about the risks associated with implants or perhaps are not candidates for implants. Fat transfer augmentation is a procedure that can enlarge breasts without implants.
How Does Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Work?
Fat transfer breast enhancement is a surgical procedure, normally performed under general anesthesia, that involves removing fat from other places on your body and using it to reshape and enlarge your breasts. Most often, the fat to be transferred is taken from problem areas on your body so you are actually getting two procedures done at the same time.
Most patients choose to obtain excess fat from their back, abdomen, arms, and thighs which leaves these areas slimmer and more contoured. Using advanced liposuction techniques, fat is removed from the predetermined areas and then sterilized to remove any impurities or excess liquids. Finally, using a targeted approach, the sterilized fat is injected into the breasts to achieve the desired shape, size, and volume.
Knowing the pros and cons of fat transfer breast enhancement may help you determine if this procedure may be right for you.
Upside or Pros of Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
- Natural look – It’s done with your own excess fat and your breasts look and feel completely natural.
- Complimentary liposuction – Your “problem” areas are the source of fat leaving you more proportionate, slimmer, and contoured, and your breasts are enhanced. Twice the benefits on the same day.
- Minimal scarring will occur as a result of the fat transfer procedure, the fat is injected into your breasts through very tiny incisions which leave virtually no scarring.
- No risks of implants – There are no concerns regarding implant complications, ruptures, calcification around the implants, or rejection of “foreign material”.
- Permanent results – Once transferred fat cells become fully grafted into the breasts, they are permanent.
- Shorter recovery and no hospital stay – Fat transfer breast augmentation is normally an outpatient procedure and does not require a hospital stay.
Potential Downsides or Cons of Breast Fat Transfer
- Limited augmentation – The breasts can be enhanced by only 1 or 1 ½ cup sizes. If you desire fuller breasts, implants are going to work better for you.
- Enough fat to transfer – To be a candidate you must have enough excess fat to remove and use for the procedure. If you are very slim, this will probably not work for you.
- Hard-to-predict results – Not all the fat injected will attach and live, some fat will be reabsorbed by your body so the initial result you see will change and may result in smaller breast volume than desired. Sometimes a second procedure is needed.
- Impairing cancer screening – If some of the fat does not attach and become part of the breast, it is naturally flushed out of your body. Any remaining dead fat cells can create calcifications or oil cysts that are permanent. Calcifications or oil cysts make cancer screening results harder to read as breast cancer and calcifications look very much alike.
- Limited effect – This procedure does not lift breasts or prevent sagging that can result from aging, pregnancy, genetics, or weight loss.
- Costly – The combination of the two procedures makes the cost of fat transfer breast augmentation more expensive than implants.
- No way back – Fat transfer is permanent while implants can be taken out if a problem arises.
If you would like to learn more about breast augmentation through fat transfer, we would welcome the opportunity to consult with you on a plan to achieve your aesthetic goals. Please schedule a consultation today with Dr. Angelina to discuss if fat transfer breast augmentation surgery is right for you.
Angelina Postoev, MD, FACS, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon, and Christopher Ibikunle, MD, FACS, offer fat transfer breast augmentation to women in Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Johns Creek, and the surrounding areas of Atlanta, Georgia. To learn more, contact us today to schedule a personal consultation.