In recent years, the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) has gained immense popularity as a cosmetic procedure aimed at enhancing the shape and size of the buttocks. With the increasing demand for customized cosmetic treatments, a different variation of the traditional BBL has emerged: the Mini BBL.
While both procedures aim to enhance the appearance of the buttocks, there are key differences between the two. Today we will explore the nuances of a mini BBL vs. a BBL to better understand their unique features, how they are obtained, and which may be right for you.
Traditional BBL vs. Mini BBL
What Is A Traditional BBL?
The Brazilian Butt Lift, commonly referred to as BBL, is a surgical procedure that involves harvesting excess fat from other areas of the body through liposuction and then transferring it to the buttocks to improve their shape, size, and contour.
The procedure begins with the removal of excess fat from donor areas such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, or lower back. The harvested fat is then carefully processed to remove impurities and reinjected into the buttocks to achieve the desired shape and volume. The procedure offers both the benefits of an enhanced derriere and can help reduce excess fat deposits and smooth out any trouble areas you may have.
The BBL is typically performed under general anesthesia and requires a substantial recovery period.
What Is A Mini BBL?
A mini-BBL procedure has the same basic objective as the standard BBL procedure; however, it is used to provide more subtle enhancements. There are a few techniques that can be used to perform these smaller corrections or enhancements, and even though they differ greatly, they are often both referred to as a mini BBL.
- Reduced Fat Transfer BBL
- The term mini BBL is most often used to describe a procedure when a lesser amount of fat is transferred in the same manner as a traditional BBL. A smaller amount of fat is extracted via liposuction and grafted into targeted areas. For instance, 400 or 500 cc may be added to a mini BBL instead of the typical 800-900 cc for a standard BBL. This technique can be used for individuals who desire to correct symmetry issues, fill in divots, or add subtle volume.
- A Skinny Mini BBL
- When an individual is slim and has a lower percentage of body fat, they will not have a significant reserve of body fat available to be gathered. The cosmetic surgeon must take care to enhance their buttocks without the results looking unnatural.
In a skinny mini-BBL, the cosmetic surgeon uses a more conservative approach to fat harvesting and transfer, focusing on creating subtle enhancements to the buttocks that are proportionate to the patient’s existing body shape.
This involves using smaller amounts of harvested fat or targeting only specific areas for liposuction to optimize the available fat for transfer to the buttocks. Sometimes the surgeon will require the patient to gain five to ten pounds before proceeding with the procedure so there is enough fat to harvest.
- Mini No-Lipo BBL
- Another technique used to enhance the buttocks that is sometimes referred to as a mini BBL is a less invasive version of the traditional BBL. Also known as a “non-surgical” or “liquid” BBL, this mini BBL does not involve any tiny incisions or liposuction. Instead, it uses injectable fillers, typically hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers, to enhance the shape and volume of the buttocks.
The fillers are strategically injected into specific areas of the buttocks to achieve a very subtle contour and lift. This method can be used by individuals who desire to correct imperfections and symmetry issues. This mini-BBL is usually performed using a local anesthetic and has a shorter recovery period compared to the traditional BBL.
Dermal fillers naturally break down over time and are absorbed into the body, so it is important to note that the results of using dermal fillers to enhance the buttocks are temporary. Maintaining the results requires periodic maintenance, which will be dependent on the type of filler used.
What Are The Benefits Of A BBL And A Mini BBL?
There are several shared benefits associated with the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) and the mini BBL, which explains why they are gaining popularity. Some of the main benefits of a BBL and a mini BBL include:
- Enhanced buttock shape and volume
- One of the primary goals of a BBL is to improve the shape and size of the buttocks. By removing excess fat from areas such as the abdomen, thighs, or hips through liposuction and then transferring that fat to the buttocks, a skilled cosmetic surgeon can create a fuller and more rounded buttock contour that appears natural and proportionate to the rest of the body. This can result in a more curvaceous and attractive buttock appearance.
- Customizable results
- With a BBL, the surgeon can make the procedure fit the needs of each patient, allowing for a customized approach. The amount of fat transferred, the areas of liposuction, and the specific technique used can be adjusted to allow for personalized results that are unique to each patient and achieve their aesthetic goals.
- Natural-looking results
- The use of the patient’s own fat in a BBL can result in a more natural-looking outcome compared to other methods, such as implants. Since the fat is taken from the patient’s own body and then re-injected into the buttocks, it can provide a softer and more natural feel and appearance.
- Dual benefit of liposuction
- In addition to enhancing the buttocks, a BBL also involves liposuction to remove excess fat from other areas of the body. This can result in improved body contouring and sculpting as unwanted fat from areas such as the abdomen, hips, and thighs can be removed, providing a more toned and contoured appearance overall.
- Long-lasting results
- The results of a BBL can be long-lasting, as the transferred fat cells can establish a new blood supply and survive in their new location. However, it’s important to note that maintaining a healthy lifestyle and weight after the procedure is crucial to ensuring the longevity of the results.
For patients who undergo a liquid mini-BBL, the results will be temporary unless maintained through routine dermal filler injections. This can be a benefit for those who would like to test out the appearance of a mini-BBL before committing to a permanent procedure.
- Minimal scarring
- Since a BBL is a minimally invasive procedure, the incisions made for liposuction and fat transfer are typically very small and discreet, resulting in minimal scarring compared to other surgical procedures.
- Increased self-confidence
- One of the most significant benefits of a BBL is the potential for improved self-confidence and body image. Achieving a more attractive and proportionate buttock appearance can boost self-esteem and overall satisfaction with one’s appearance, leading to increased confidence and an improved quality of life.
If you are interested in enhancing your buttocks and would like to know which procedure may be right for you, set up a consultation with SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics today.
Dr. Angelina Postoev, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon, uses her extensive background to provide her patients with excellent results. Her skill as a surgeon and an artist delivers patients the highest quality aesthetic results in a safe and comfortable environment.
Come visit us in one of our convenient locations. We would love to talk with you about how we can help make your aesthetic dreams a reality.