Some of the most often performed aesthetic surgeries in the world are those done for breast augmentation purposes. These women decide to have their breasts enhanced for both cosmetic and reconstructive reasons. These enhancements or corrections can be done using breast implants, a breast lift, or a combination of both.
Today we are going to talk about breast implants, breast lifts, and whether it is possible to get breast implants without a lift.
Why Do Women Have Breast Augmentations?
Women choose to enhance the way their breasts look for many different reasons, and like many other forms of cosmetic surgery, this choice is a very personal one. Some of the most common reasons a woman would choose to undergo a breast augmentation include:
- To alter the size and shape
- A lot of women choose to get breast implants to enhance the size and shape of their breasts. Breast implants can be helpful for women whose breasts are naturally small or asymmetrical. They’re also a great solution for women who have lost volume in their breasts due to pregnancy, losing a significant amount of weight, or through the natural aging process.
- For boosting self-confidence
- A breast augmentation can often help a woman’s confidence level and remove any sense of negative body image. It is common for women to have breasts that are noticeably different sizes, which can cause embarrassment or anxiety in certain situations.
- For reconstruction
- Sometimes, women who had cancer surgery, such as a mastectomy, may choose to restore the appearance of their breasts so they once again look natural. Having breast reconstruction can return them to their previous shape, size, and fullness. Breast implants are often used in combination with other techniques like tissue expanders or flap surgery to restore their breasts to a natural look.
- To correct asymmetry
- Many women naturally have asymmetrical breasts, where one is smaller than the other and shaped very differently. Breast implants are used to correct this issue and to help balance out the breasts so they look more natural.
- Appearance, placement, and volume
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding can take their toll on a woman’s breasts and cause them to sag and lose a considerable amount of volume. Breast implants can help restore their breasts to a pre-pregnancy appearance, and a breast lift can correct sagging breasts and return them to a more natural position on the chest.
What Is The Difference Between Breast Implants And A Breast Lift?
Breast implants and a breast lift are two different surgical techniques that can be used to correct aesthetic issues pertaining to a woman’s breasts. They can be done independently or together, depending on the type of correction needed.
Breast implants are used to increase the size of the breasts or to replace lost volume related to pregnancy, breastfeeding, losing weight, or getting older. Implants made of silicone or saline are installed through strategically targeted incisions and can be located in front of or behind the chest muscles. Sometimes, women also have loose or stretched skin that causes their breasts to sag, which using only implants by themselves may not be able to fix.
Lifting the breasts through mastopexy surgery is the most effective option for correcting drooping breasts that are hanging far lower than they are meant to be. Sometimes losing a bunch of weight or nursing a baby can cause your breasts to lose their fullness and alter their position, and many women desire to get this corrected through a breast lift. During this procedure, the droopy, hanging skin is excised, and what remains is made tighter by simultaneously reshaping the remaining breast tissue, raising it up to a significantly higher location, and making the breasts appear natural but more youthful.
Having breast implants can change how large your breasts are and may also alter their shape, significantly changing their look, but it normally does not completely change how high the breasts sit on your chest. Many women wonder if it’s possible to get breast implants without a lift, and the answer is yes! These two surgeries can be done separately, however, they are designed to accomplish two different objectives.
Implants are designed to add volume to your breasts and improve their shape, but using them alone may not be enough to obtain the results you desire. A breast lift is designed to correct sagging or drooping by getting rid of the extra skin and lax tissue and restoring the breasts to a more natural-looking position. To achieve the results desired, a combination of both a lift and a breast augmentation that includes implants may be necessary and will depend on the patient’s age, the degree of sagging, and the shape, and volume of saline or silicone used in the implants.
Most of the time, women who have only mild or moderate breast sagging issues may be able to get breast implants without a lift. In these cases, installing the implants can add volume and some natural lift without requiring additional surgery. However, in cases where the breasts are severely sagging, a lift will also be necessary to reposition them because implants alone can’t correct these laxity issues that are the root cause of sagging breasts.
How Do I Know If I Should Get Breast Implants With Or Without A Lift?
Whether you will need a breast lift and implants together or separately to correct the look of your breasts will depend on how much sagging is present and the size of the implants you choose to use. Breast implants are available in many different sizes and shapes, so your cosmetic surgeon will work with you to decide what option is best for your body type and will give you the results you want.
If you are considering breast augmentation surgery, speaking with a qualified, experienced medical professional like Dr. Angelina Postoev, a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon with SurgiCare Arts & Aesthetics, would be an ideal first step. She can discuss your options and help you decide the best plan of care to address the specific issues you are experiencing with your breasts and to deliver the results you desire.
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that comes with certain risks, so it is essential that you choose a qualified surgeon, such as Dr. Angelina, to perform your procedure. She and her highly experienced team prioritize your safety and provide excellent results. It is important that you follow all the pre-and post-operative directions you are given to minimize risk and obtain optimal results from your breast augmentation.
While it is possible to have breast implants without having a lift, sometimes undergoing both at the same time will ensure you get the results you desire. Book your consultation today with Dr. Angelina to discuss your specific breast concerns, and she will help determine the best way to accomplish the aesthetic results you desire. Contact us today to find out more!