What Is Upper Blepharoplasty?
Upper eyelid blepharoplasty has continued its high ranking in the United States retaining its second position spot of most requested cosmetic surgery procedures according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
An upper eyelid lift can remove a significant amount of sagging, thin skin, known as “hooding” that gradually gets worse as we age. Hooding can make a person look tired or depressed and many women experience frustration trying to apply makeup because this excess skin gets in the way. Some patients begin to have problems with their vision because this loose skin hangs down into their line of sight.
Upper lid blepharoplasty is a safe, quick, and effective surgical procedure that results in a noticeably more refreshed, youthful, and bright-eyed appearance.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty?
Individuals who have droopy eyelids due to the natural aging process or genetics that create visible hooding can benefit from upper eye lift surgery.
The minimum qualifications required for an upper blepharoplasty include:
- Patient must be in overall good health;
- Patient does not smoke;
- Patient has realistic goals and expectations.
How Long Does An Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty Take?
An upper blepharoplasty normally takes about an hour if treating this area alone. Combining an upper and lower blepharoplasty usually takes about 2 hours. An upper eyelid lift can also be combined with an eyebrow lift to offer more dramatic results.
What Is The Procedure For An Upper Blepharoplasty?
- 1. The patient is made comfortable through anesthesia or sedation
- An upper-eyelid lift can be performed under IV sedation or general anesthesia. During your initial consultation, your surgeon discusses which type of anesthesia is recommended for your specific circumstances.
- 2. The surgeon creates the incision
- The surgeon makes a small incision along the natural crease of the upper eyelid.
The scars from an upper eyelid incision will be virtually invisible because they will follow the natural curve of the crease line. Any visibility of the scar will only be noticeable when the eyes are closed. Eye shadow will completely camouflage any noticeable scars.
- 3. Loose skin and fat are removed
- The surgeon removes any excess skin and repositions or removes excess fat enhancing the contours of the upper lids. The surgeon is also able to tighten any muscle laxity that is present.
For patients with significant “hooding”, an upper lid blepharoplasty can improve their peripheral vision and also removes some weight and pressure from their eyes.
- 4. The surgeon closes the incisions
- The surgeon carefully stitches the incisions closed and may use sutures that need to be removed within 5 to 7 days or ones that dissolve and fall out on their own after about a week.
What Is The Recovery From An Upper Eyelid Lift?
Usually, an upper eyelid blepharoplasty is not a painful procedure and most patients do not require anything more than acetaminophen for a few days after their surgery.
After undergoing an upper eyelid blepharoplasty bruising and swelling on the eyelid are normal. Sometimes patients experience bruising on their cheeks and this can add to their recovery time (not because it is painful, but because they may not feel they look their best).
The skin surrounding the incision may be a bit raised and red but this will dissipate in a week or so. The eyelids may feel tight and patients may experience watery or dry eyes after their surgery and may be prescribed medication to ease the discomfort. Some patients also are sensitive to light for a few days following upper eyelift surgery.
The recovery time from upper blepharoplasty is fairly short compared to other cosmetic surgeries and most patients can resume their normal routines in about a week. The time for recovery may differ with each patient depending on the extent of their surgery and when they feel comfortable going out in public.
An upper eyelid lift delivers very natural-looking results and does not alter the shape of the eye or cause the brows to change positions creating a “surprised” look.
Upper blepharoplasty can improve a patient’s vision as well as boost their self-confidence. Schedule a consultation today to learn more about this easy, quick procedure that makes such a significant difference and delivers long-lasting results.